The greenway trail entrance is located at the back of Smithfield Community Park and runs 3.0 miles along the Spring Branch to the Neuse River Walk at Smithfield Town Commons and is part of the Mountains to Sea Trail. The ten foot wide path accommodates hikers, runners and bikers.
600 Booker Dairy Rd.
Smithfield, NC 27577
- The Buffalo Creek Greenway is 2.94 miles in length and is part of the Mountains to Sea Trail.
- 10 ft pavement section with 2 ft stone shoulders.
- 4 pre-engineered steel bridges and 250 feet of boardwalk.
- Easements and/or land donations for construction were given at no cost.
- Links Historic Downtown Business District to the northern and southern historic residential neighborhoods.
- The greenway links four Town parks together and links two schools.
- The entire 2.94 miles of greenway has no "at grade crossings" of roadways.
- Less than an acre of wetlands was impacted, that required mitigation.
- Allows pedestrian access to the $11M community/aquatics center.
- The greenway has 5 trail head parking lots.
- Approx. 1800 ft. of greenway constructed with State Trails Funds (NCDENR).